Friday 24 September 2010

Migrant Hawker - Cowpen Bewley

On the day i espied the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Greatham Creek i called into Cowpen Bewley Country Park on the way home hoping for some success with dragonflies. I was not disappointed.
The first 4 images were taken around the small pools by the main lake. The final image was captured as i was returning to my car via the wooded area just behind the reception centre. I was stopped in my tracks by the pair of Darters as they appeared overhead before dropping into the trees. Don't forget to double-click on the images to appreciate the beauty of these extraordinary creatures. Whilst magnified take a close look at that last image to see how the male Migrant Hawker is embracing his partner.
Some like it rough, they reckon!





           


6 comments:

  1. He thinks he's a caveman dragging his partner by the hair, dirty blackguard! He's got a big smile on his face too. :O)

    I wonder if these are the same kind of dragonflies hubby and I saw once when we were walking by some wetland in Yorkshire. They were absolutely massive. We hadn't seen anything like them and we got quite a shock. :) At a guess, their wingspan was about 6-8 inches.

    Beautiful photos John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where you are coming from Lesley...........UGG.
    There are 3 main types of Hawker dragonflies you may have bumped into the largest being the Southern with a wingspan of approx. 100mm. Don't let the name Southern put you off they do occur in Yorkshire.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. .....we were just frightened that they would bump into us! They were like little helicopters. :O) You've made me want to find out more about them now... must do some googling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only "discovered" dragonflies this summer Lesley, along with butterflies.
    It gets quiet relatively on the birding front and i've been taken by both. It's a nice challenge trying to I D them and i love learning (even at my age). It's all about nature at the end of the day and it blows me away.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean John. It's sounds odd, but I can be in a room full of people and feel lonely, but working in the greenhouse with the spiders and mice for company and I feel happy and content. :)

    I'm ignoring the 'even at my age' bit! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brain, which used to be a sponge, struggles to take it all in these days. Sometimes it hurts!!
    I can sit here quietly, look out the window, and watch the Sparrows and get a lovely glow.
    John

    ReplyDelete