Thursday 28 March 2019

They can't all be good.

The photographs not the birds.
While walking along the path to the Oddie & south facing hides at Druridge my 6ft 4 inches of height comes in very handy since they put in the new path ( at least 2 years ago now) I get good views most of the way along over the walls screening the Budge Field ….. this came in handy as I noticed a long snake like white neck poking out from the reeds to the west of the site on Sunday morning. Hurried along to the hide and sure enough there was a Great White Egret in full view from this other angle and two folk were sitting watching it. I rattled off a few images, just in case, and went outside, so as not disturb the couple in the hide, to ring Gary who I had passed leaving the path and heading along to the Budge Screen. I wanted to know, jokingly, why he hadn't informed me of its presence !!!! "What" was his reply followed by "is that big white thing in the corner it ????" Gary labels himself BLIND PEW on occasions, you can understand why. As I headed back to the hide the couple left saying something like "You've missed it" The bird had flown ! Hence the lack of decent images. I texted Dave to let him know and he replied saying that an Egret had flown over him continuing north high up. He went on that it was hard to judge size & presumed it was a Little Egret but it must had been the GWE. It wasn't reported again.
A single Sand Martin feeding over the Dru Pool was my first Hirundine of the year.
No Wheatear though.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Johnny tis Moorside Meanderings I've just found your blog again after many years good to see you're still at it. I've just set up a new one for my son and going out photographing with him so hopefully will catch you around the hides sometime

    ReplyDelete