Thursday 23 May 2013

Lindisfarne / E. Chev....... with hyphens

Had to get a new computer/ operation on arm, hence the lack of posts.
THE Howdon Blagger and I headed up the coast yesterday (first day of a few days holiday for the wee man) and a fine days birding was had. Not quite the rarities of the previous few days but not being a big twitcher not a problem. It's as much about the location.
No explanation then for the visit to the fabulous Holy Island. We didn't even get as far as the main car park spending all our time on the Snook. NOT ONE DOG WALKER seen and some cracking birds. While I think on, a lot is being made of the serious problems all of our wildlife is experiencing and on the way up I was commenting to John how much, in my case, I had noticed the lack of Meadow Pipits seen. I mention tis because we saw loads on the island along with Skylarks in the rough grassland. Out at Half-moon Slack a Red-backed Shrike fed in the shelter of the trees around the water then the Barred Warbler was sighted doing the same. While here I picked up on a Short-eared Owl which revealed itself briefly from behind one of the dunes before drifting off north.
Leaving Lindisfarne late morning and with THE Blaggers tummy rumbling, lunch was consumed in Amble and shared with numerous Black-headed Gulls. Many of these birds fed from the hand. I sit with my arm out of the car window, chip in hand, with the birds taking them while in the air. Entertaining if somewhat noisy.
East Chevington brought us numerous Reed Warblers over the Beach Pool while listening for the Great version and a pair of Stonechats and Linnet looked stunning in the nearby dunes. Sedgies were much quieter than they had been when I was there a few days earlier. The Marsh Harriers showed very briefly and four Grey Heron flew overhead at various times along with eight Curlew which drifted down towards Druridge Pools.

N.B.   If you've been directed here by that lazy hound THE Howdon Blagger can I say hello. 39 hours birding in 2 days.........PAH. Small potatoes Mr. Hall, y can't take the pace !

2 comments:

  1. Haven't had time to write anything (will just put a link to this blog from mine) or even look at my pics. Took my first pic at 05.32 at Big Waters yesterday morning and got home at 17.50 (Even more knackered than I was on Wednesday evening)

    John

    ReplyDelete